Hey, look at that new website!

Isn’t she lovely? Isn’t she wonderful? Isn’t she precious? Less than one minute old.


Proud professional mom moment over here–the new BISSELL Support website I was a big part of launched this past week!

This was one of the biggest projects I’ve been on since joining the company a year ago, and one I’m super proud of.

When I interviewed for my current role I looked through the existing Support website and gave it a friendly critique. My gut reaction that it wasn’t working as well as it could for customers or our customer service agents using it while talking to customers was right.

We used a lot of solid data points to help us determine what needed to be fixed.
  • The majority of visitors are on mobile phones
  • Customers were having a hard time finding their product and getting to relevant troubleshooting articles
  • The basics (order status, returns, etc.) that bring a lot of users to the site are some of the hardest on-site tasks to complete

We took these insights, did some competitive benchmarking of what we liked from other companies and what we didn’t like, and had a UX designer spin up a clickable prototype (fake website). Then we ran user testing sessions, screen sharing with real BISSELL consumers and asking them to complete tasks on our current and then prototyped website to measure improvement.

We tweaked, we debated (color of buttons! Icons! Should this link drop a menu open on hover or click?), we went back to the data and did a lot of behind the scenes prep work to finally launch this new beauty into the world.

I’m particularly proud of our redesigned product pages:



These are WAY more directional than the old product page. We kept key product information elevated (validated from user testing) at the top of the page. We also used our data to identify what the top issues someone might have, and made a nice visual grid which quickly gets users to the troubleshooting they need.

Better yet–we’re not just clinking champagne glasses and kicking our feet up–we’re user testing this again. Did we get it right? Do we need to iterate and improve somewhere? The users will point us in that direction.

This project has some sister spin off projects, too. One big one is introducing order self service which allows a consumer to handle key order issues (missing item, item arrived damaged, etc.) fully online themselves without talking to a customer service agent.

This empowers our consumers to get the help they need, whenever they need it. It also empowers our customer service agents to better use their time with more complex customer issues.

In another one of the interviews I had for this role I was stopped on my abundant usage of “we” vs “I”. In that sense I was selling myself short, not making it clear enough what I did. That interview advice will stick with me forever.

In the case of this project (and this blog post), I’m thrilled to “we” everywhere. This was a big team effort. And yes, I was very involved. I had my hands in every detail you’ve read so far. I worked hard on it and led my team to get to the finish line here. It also isn’t my launch on my own.

So, here’s to the team! We did good work and we’re continuing to do it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025