A Mid-July Garden Update
At bedtime me and C sneak into the garden and pick snap peas off the vine to crunch. We’ve almost picked the last ones for the season. Maybe next we’ll hit up my bucket of carrots or parse through the big leaves for green beans.
Typically in mid-July my garden goes off the rails. It’s too hot to manage and every big rain multiplies everything by 9. Things go unruly and untamed. Fruit ripens and rots on the vine. It becomes a project for tear out in September.
But this year, I’ve got a handle on it. It’s probably because of the unseasonably cool temps. It’s certainly because I caged my tomatoes and strategically zone planted. It definitely is because my mom went wild weeding when she was visiting last weekend.
The majority of plants aren’t ready yet: watermelon, cucumber, heirloom tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet peppers, carrots. We’ve only harvested herbs, snap peas, some green beans and one cherry tomato so far. I think we’re gonna hit a boom and need to open a roadside stand soon.

