Wisconsin Recovery Spring Rolls
While in Milwaukee, I tried one of my pal Ashley’s veggie spring rolls and Thai dipping sauce. And DANG. They were really good.
There’s that crunch factor that’s really satisfying, the sweet nutty flavor of the dip and the fun factor of eating spring rolls.
To be honest, I’m not totally sold on the spring roll rice paper. It’s a little rubbery and tasteless for me. Next time I find myself at the tail end of a beer and cheese bender (cough a la Milwaukee) I’ll reach for this recipe—and maybe toss the rice wrappers aside and eat it as a salad.
Since the recipe is from a Healthy Grocery Girl video, here it is in written form:
Raw Veggie Spring Rolls with Almond Thai Dip
Ingredients
Rice paper spring roll wrappers (I found these in the Asian shelf section of my grocery store)
Romain lettuce
Red bell peppers
Carrots
Cucumber
Purple cabbage
1 cup canned coconut milk
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions
There’s that crunch factor that’s really satisfying, the sweet nutty flavor of the dip and the fun factor of eating spring rolls.
To be honest, I’m not totally sold on the spring roll rice paper. It’s a little rubbery and tasteless for me. Next time I find myself at the tail end of a beer and cheese bender (cough a la Milwaukee) I’ll reach for this recipe—and maybe toss the rice wrappers aside and eat it as a salad.
Since the recipe is from a Healthy Grocery Girl video, here it is in written form:
Raw Veggie Spring Rolls with Almond Thai Dip
Ingredients
Rice paper spring roll wrappers (I found these in the Asian shelf section of my grocery store)
Romain lettuce
Red bell peppers
Carrots
Cucumber
Purple cabbage
1 cup canned coconut milk
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions
- Place all wet ingredients (spices included) in a blender and whirl until combined.
- Slice bell pepper, carrots, cucumber and purple cabbage into thin strips. For the cucumber, cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the middle seeds as these can make your rolls watery.
- Taking one sheet of rice paper at a time, dip it in a bowl of warm water. In 5-10 seconds the sheet will become soft and pliable.
- Place the sheet on a cutting board and top with a lettuce leaf, then veggies. Starting at one end, roll up tightly. The paper will stick to itself.
- Repeat until your veggies are gone.
