Four
Armed with a butter knife and a bottle of Goo Gone, Ben spent a few nights last week scraping stubborn labels off glass bottles and jars for me. Cleaning jars for centerpieces is one of several wedding related jobs I’ve tasked him with, and one of several he’s taken on with no complaint or questioning.
He did most of the bottle cleaning work while I was in bed—reading my usual two pages from a bedside novel before I toss it onto his pillow and conk out cold. By 9 p.m. I’m drained from a big, huge, ginormous work project; wedding work (currently in the form of designing invitations) and household chores.
But each morning I wake up recharged, my book magically relocated to his nightstand, my limbs tucked in to our warmest purple blanket and more clean bottles drying on the kitchen bar.
It’s not entirely glamorous, but it's life right now. And on our fourth dateiversary, I'm relishing the simple and quiet moments of caring for each other that come far more often than the big celebrations or exciting events. It's the little things that dig me deeper into a cheesy pit of love.
Happy four years, Ben—and happy six months more until we put those fantastically clean bottles to use.
He did most of the bottle cleaning work while I was in bed—reading my usual two pages from a bedside novel before I toss it onto his pillow and conk out cold. By 9 p.m. I’m drained from a big, huge, ginormous work project; wedding work (currently in the form of designing invitations) and household chores.
But each morning I wake up recharged, my book magically relocated to his nightstand, my limbs tucked in to our warmest purple blanket and more clean bottles drying on the kitchen bar.
It’s not entirely glamorous, but it's life right now. And on our fourth dateiversary, I'm relishing the simple and quiet moments of caring for each other that come far more often than the big celebrations or exciting events. It's the little things that dig me deeper into a cheesy pit of love.
Happy four years, Ben—and happy six months more until we put those fantastically clean bottles to use.